I asked friends who were new to British culture what they found most difficult, below are some of their answers.
- British people do not talk much
- Hospitality is different – you don’t just pop in, you wait until invited
- Different standards of hygiene
- Dogs and cats are allowed in the house
- Plates etc. are dried using dirty tea towels
- Members of churches drink alcohol
- People shake hands with members of the opposite sex, even hug
- The word family is used of the church but it is not the type of family you expect
- I was not invited to the wedding of the ministers son, would be if you were family!
- Can’t just pop into people’s homes, let alone eat with them unannounced
- The way some girls dressed with short skirts and cleavage. I was surprised by how much (almost) nudity there was around on the streets.
- I found instant coffee difficult!
Written by Tony Thompson